Double-sided PCBs are commonly found in many electronics used each day. While single-sided PCBs have one conductive surface, double-sided PCBs have a conductive layer on each side. A dielectric layer is surrounded by circuit copper layers and solder mask on both sides. Vias allow manufacturers to create traces on both sides that route around each other and connect between layers. Manufacturers use double-sided PCBs for products that need a beginner to intermediate level of circuit complexity. This type of PCB doesn’t offer as much circuit complexity or density as multilayer PCBs, but they work as an affordable option in numerous applications.
Benefits of Double-Sided PCBs
A double-sided PCB offers utilities you couldn’t get from a single-sided PCB. The advantages of using double-sided PCBs in your upcoming project include:
- More space for components: By having conductive layers on both sides, a double-sided PCB has twice the room for components as a single-sided PCB. Increase circuit density and complexity with ease.
- Numerous applications: Double-sided PCBs have the circuit complexity to be used in many common electronics at a reasonable price. Use double-sided PCBs to create popular electronics for everyday use.
- Effective use of space: A double-sided PCB comes in the same size as a single-sided PCB, but with double the component room. Design more complicated projects with the same amount of space.
- Cost-effective: Double-sided PCBs have the capacity to be used for plenty of projects and have a lower price than multilayer PCBs. Avoid paying for extra layers when two will do.
- More design options: At a relatively low cost, you can greatly expand the number of projects possible for your capabilities and budget. Create innovations that you couldn’t with a single-layer PCB.
- Suitable for sinking and sourcing current: You can use the bottom layer of a double-sided PCB as a ground copper pour for sinking and sourcing currents. Redirect your PCB’s current while leaving the top layer free.
Get a Free Quick Quote.
Double-Sided PCB Applications
Many of the electronics found in everyday life function on double-sided PCBs. Applications of double-sided PCBs include:
- Power supplies
- HVAC systems
- Power conversion
- LED lighting
- Hard drives
- Phone systems
- Vending machines
- Traffic systems
- Car dashboards
Double-sided PCBs can be manufactured in a wide variety of custom designs, including silver and gold finishes, high temperature materials, and solder coating. This versatility allows them to power an almost limitless number of projects at a cost-effective price point.
Why Millennium Circuits Limited?
Millennium Circuits Limited (MCL) works with multiple strategic manufacturers to ensure you get PCBs that meet your need and specifications. We can accommodate all project sizes, from prototype to production quantities.
Contact one of our Customer Concierge team members today to discuss your upcoming project. For a faster experience, feel free to use our RFQ tool to get an estimate while we get back to you. If you prefer speaking on the phone, please call 717-558-5975.